Sunday, May 13, 2018

A Rare Sight

Although we have many birds in our garden, we don't always get a chance to photograph them, or to even get a good look at some of the shyer ones. It seems to me that every time I get my camera out, the birds disappear!!

Last week I had a couple of lucky sightings. Wattle birds are very common around here, but they usually stick to the trees and rarely come down close enough or for long enough to get a shot. I guess with not much water around, they are coming closer to get a drink, because I was able to not only get a good shot of the little Wattlebird (pretty common here), but also of the Red Wattlebird - far less common.

Little Wattlebirds - here the wattle is non-existent or very small, hence the "little".




Red Wattlebird - the wattle is much larger and more noticeable.




Tasmania has a Yellow Wattlebird, not found on the mainland. This one has a bright yellow belly and long fleshy yellow wattles. Wattlebirds are honeyeaters and are often quite aggressive towards smaller honeyeaters.

Linking with

Our World Tuesday
Wild Bird Wednesday


Liz Needle

12 comments:

  1. A beautiful sight, and I just adore that last one's expression!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting bird ... he really looks in the last photo like he's wondering what you are doing taking his picture. And I see the wattle on that one. I enjoy looking at pictures of birds that are so different from any I've ever seen!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He looks very inquisitive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, the Wattle birds are cool looking. Congrats on your sighting and yard bird. Great photos. Enjoy your day and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen a wattle bird, how cool is he!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know how hard it is to get a photo of a bird on my patio so well done. You have captured them beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful. I am always learning something new. I have never seen a wattle bird! Thanks for sharing.
    Kay
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such interesting birds! Loved seeing these as they are new for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting birds. It’s nice you had a nice cool drink for them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad I got to see the wattle.... not sure what I was supposed to be looking for but you got one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. congrats to great shots :) The red wattlebird seem to wonder what you are doing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not familiar with the wattle bird. Thanks for the info and photos.

    ReplyDelete