Saturday, June 18, 2016

Family Reunion

Many years ago I organised a family reunion at our place and a great time was had by all.  Now sadly, 30 years later, we only seem to meet at funerals. I have been suggesting each time that we should have a family get together, but it seems to get put on the back burner.

Several months ago a very dear oldest cousin passed away - so I decided to bite the bullet and organise another reunion before our ranks dwindled any further.  Full of resolve, I sent off an email to as many of my remaining 36 cousins as I had contacts for. I was overwhelmed at the response and the numbers are still growing. By October I am expecting a host of cousins covering 3 generation - some of whom I haven't seen for years and some of whom I have never met. What fun.

My family - on my mother's side are descended from Ernst Bernhard Heyne, a botanist and horticulturalist, linguist and mathematician who came to Australia in 1848. 



He first settled in Melbourne where he gained employment as secretary to and head plantsman for Baron Ferdinand von Mueller - as such my great grandfather was responsible for much of the planning and planting of the Melbourne Botanic Gardens.

Melbourne Botanic Gardens as drawn by EB Heyne
He later moved to Adelaide and became well known as a botanist, nurseryman, author, viticulturalist and horticulturalist. He married Laura Hanckel and raised a family of 5 children, one of whom died in infancy.

The photo shows Laura Heyne (Hanckel), Laura, Ida, Johanna Hanckel (Grossi), Agnes and Carl in front.



His three daughters were all exceptional scholars and very well known and respected in Adelaide educational circles. The eldest - Agnes married Caspar Dorsch and herself had a large family of  brilliant scholars, the other two - Laura and Ida - never married but were much loved teachers.

Carl, my grandfather, graduated from Roseworthy College as one of the earliest graduates and established himself as a horticulturalist and nurseryman. His nursery at Norwood is still run by his grandson and great grandsons.

He married Wilhelmina(Minnie)Lehmann and had nine children - Ernst, Anna, Laura (my mother), Carl,  Thusnelda, Dora, Waldemar, Lesley and Ida. They also raised and adopted as their daughter Isobel, daughter of Dora who died as a young woman.





The photo  shows Laura, Minnie, Carl, Agnes and Ida

















This shot shows all the descendants of EB Heyne at the time. My mother is the baby being nursed by her mother Minnie on the left.


Laura(my mother), Ernst, Carl with Thusnelda(Nelda) and Anna in front.
This photo is probably my favourite family shot. It shows the five eldest children of Carl and Minnie. These children are the parents of many of the cousins who will be getting together at the reunion with their own children and grand children..


Minnie and Carl Heyne



These were the surviving Heyne children taken at the last reunion, probably 30 years ago. From left Ida, Wally, Lesley, Ernst, Laura, Carl. In front are Paddy Hickey (husband of Ida) and Bill Kennedy (husband of Anna - deceased). In October we will meet and share our memories of all the wonderful people that I have shown you in this post.


And here are some of the cousins who will be at the reunion. I am second from the left.



I can hardly wait. It is so exciting.

Liz Needle





1 comment:

  1. What a posst post and very exciting to be having this reunion. I don't think you mention when it is however I am sure you will show us images of everyone then. Love seeing the old photos Liz

    ReplyDelete