Saturday, May 11, 2013

Sepia Saturday

As a teacher from a teaching family I seem to have collected a number of school photos over the years - mainly formal group ones.

This one was taken in 1894. I think it may have been a group of teaching students (perhaps a graduating class - white dresses)or maybe a confirmation class. The tall girl in the back row was one of my great aunts, Agnes Heyne. She was one of the first female graduates from Adelaide University and subsequently a very well known teacher

Another group of teaching students I think. This time from 1898. Another great-aunt - Ida Heyne -was a much loved teacher in Adelaide. She is in the front row, extreme left.


I have shown this photo before. Taken in the early 1900s. My third great- aunt, Laura Heyne, is the teacher on the right. She was probably the best known of the Heyne sisters and I have written at length about her earler this year. To put this in focus - she became a high school Chemistry teacher!


1915 and the same Miss Heyne with a group of her students. Interesting to see the fashions change


Early 1930s and my mother - another Miss Laura Heyne - on the right. Love the bob and the perm - her hair was naturally straight, straight, straight. This was a team of basketballers (netball) from Norwood Technical School that she took on a sports trip to Waikerie in the Riverland. Here we have the A & B teams from both schools.


1956 and this group is of the Gawler High School prefects. MY husband is the good looking dark haired one in the back row just right of centre. Amazing how well groomed they are in school uniforms, with hands and feet perfectly placed.

Liz Needle

23 comments:

  1. Liz, these photos are just fabulous and very precious. How lucky you are to have them in your possession.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They all look so smart and serious! I have to say the teachers look a bit scary..but I'm sure they were nice underneath!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit I was scared stiff of my great aunts. Tante Ida was really nice, but very much ruled by her older sister Laura - two spinsters, they lived together around the corner from us.

      Delete
  3. Some of the teachers do look a bit scary! No corporal punishment would have been needed for me - a simple glare in my direction would have sufficed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great groups especially those with your great aunts. The last photo shows uniforms that seem to be rapidly outdated - pity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too. Gave the kids a sense of school pride, I think.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful that you have all those great old photos - and such interesting stories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought you were going to scare me with a clip from Picnic at Hanging Rock !

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are wonderful old photos! I love the beautiful dresses the ladies wore and the fancy hairdos. Thanks for visiting. Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know the Prefect system beyond Harry Potter, but I suppose prefects would sit perfectly for a photograph. A treasure trove of school pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos! Don't ever lose these. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really fun and interesting photos! I had a great aunt who was a teacher also and we have some nice photos of her when she was young as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never get tired of looking at these groups of children and adults. Funny how they all have their own expression, and you know which one moved and became a blur in the photo. Quite a collection of white socks too! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved your husbands school photo the most. Everyone is so perfectly dressed and so perfectly posed.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how, in the second photo, they all seem to be looking in different directions. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that it took so long to get these old photos right that people got a bit bored or restless. That's probably the reason also why children in particular often look so grumpy.

      Delete
  14. I could spot the Heyne girl in every pic even before you said where she sat, as they share a remarkable resemblance, a family look. I was once, in my teens, asked here in town, by a perfect stranger if I was related to Miss so-and-so... and to my surprise, indeed I was!!! She was one of my mom's childhood friends and she had recognized some family traits in my face that reminded her of my mom.

    I was wondering... In that last picture, some wear one pin, some two, one on a lapel, the other on their lapel. What were those, and what were they for?!?
    :D~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The badges were prefects badges and House Captain badges. House Captains were the leaders of the Houses in the school. Not sure whether you have the same in USA. Usually to do with Sport. Have you read/watched Harry Potter? Prefects were the overall senior school leaders.

      Delete
    2. And yes, there is a definite family resemblance in all my family even down to this current generation - good strong Germanic genes.

      Delete
  15. Group school photos are such fun. I love seeing all of the faces together. So many stories to be imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  16. An excellent selection of school photos, thank you, nicely demonstrating the changes in clothing fashions.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic articles is post by you in this blog. You give a nice thing. Thank you for such a nice article. Every word og this blog helps me to give detail to me.
    Visit: Chemistry tuition Adelaide

    ReplyDelete