Saturday, March 09, 2013

Sepia Saturday

The theme photo this week brought to mind an old photo I found on a Trash and Treasure stall a few years ago. I bought it because it was a shot of the sports oval in my town. I put it away with a pile of other photos and forgot about it until my memory was jogged by the Mosman photo.
Desperately looking for something for this week's Sepia Saturday, I remembered this photo and after some diligent searching and a good deal of time wasting as I came across other forgotten treasures,  I found what I was looking for.

This photo was taken from a similar angle (this is my connection) to the theme photo and is of some kind of event at the Lenswood Oval. Judging by the clothing, cars etc I would say it was taken in the late 50s or early 60s. None of the women are wearing pants, many have hats and the dresses are of that vintage.  The men are wearing suit  trousers and shirts - no sign of jeans. The cars look to me to also be of that era, but I am not a car expert. We moved to Lenswood in 1971 and this photo predates our arrival judging by the size of the apple orchards.


Lenswood is the centre of the apple growing in South Australia and you can see apple trees growing across from the oval.The pines in the foreground are now huge and it would not be possible now to get a photo from this same spot. Lenswood does have an annual Lenswood Apple and Pear Festival and this may well have been one of the early ones. The truck on the oval is carrying apple bins as is the tractor on the oval. The stalls in the foreground are selling fruit salad and other refreshments.

Now I am going to have to find a local who can tell me more about this photo that I have been neglecting for a number of years.

Liz Needle

PS.  Having got curious, I did some research and found that the first Lenswood Apple and Pear Festival was held in 1963 and is due to have its 50th anniversary in a couple of weeks time. This photo seems to have been taken of the second festival in 1965. This was a grand affair, opened by the Premier of South Australia, the Hon Sir Thomas Playford.  I remember going to one of the festivals when our children were younger and tasting the largesr apple pie ever made in the Southern Hemisphre. Can't remember how big it was, but it was big.

13 comments:

  1. The trees in the distance seem to be 'neatly arranged.' Nice photo. I don't think I have seen an apple tree with apples on its branches ever, although I eat the fruit almost everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful setting the oval is in surrounded by those rolling hills, Looks like you could pick an apple off that tree in the foreground, the area must be beautiful at apple blossom time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From the second festival makes this a very historical photograph. Good post, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to see the largest apple pie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see cricket and Aussie Rules football being played in such a setting. Fine historic photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, living in an old apple orchard myself makes this post even more interesting to me. I forget that your harvest time would be around now. When you said the apple and peach festival was happening soon I thought, "HUH?" Then I remembered we're all upside down from each other. Our apple blossom festival will be next month with our fair in August.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely old photo of the Australian landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I do like the idea of an apple and pear festival. And what a lovely looking spot to hold it in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting old photo and how lovely, an apple and pear festival! I had to laugh at your description of searching for the photo - it sounds just like me looking through all my stuff, getting side-tracked and pulling out all sorts of other photos and things I have forgotten about!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, me too, with the searching and losing time by being sidetracked - but in a pleasant way. I can see why you thought of this shot, there's a similarity.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ditto me and looking. Always happy if I find what I'm looking for. The largest apple pie in the hemisphere would be memorable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is, but it isn't, they both have their own magic to the photo. What a great find to share!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds like a wonderful event. It is an amazing photo.

    ReplyDelete